1. Choose an SEO tool
To install Yoast, simply visit https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/ and download the plugin. Then navigate to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin
- Under Titles and Metas – Other – Go ahead and add the noodp tag site wide and no index subpages of archives. You can also add the noydir tag, but this isn’t important anymore.
- Enable your XML sitemap by going to XML site maps and checking this box.
2. Update your permalink settings.
- Keep things simple: The easy way will place the name of your post right after your domain name. This will make your URLs clean, short and to the point.
- A little more complicated: If you plan to organize your posts by category, I recommend updating your permalinks to feature the category in each URL. This way you’ll show a clear hierarchy to search engines and users will know the broad topics your post is covering.
- Let me spell it out for you: So if I were to choose Post name, the URL to this blog would be: http://www.marketinglively.com/wordpress-SEO-tips/ but because I chose Custom Structure, the URL is http://www.marketinglively.com/wordpress/wordpress-seo-tips/